I saw a pretty awesome speaker this week. One of the topics discussed was the structure of our justice system. He thought it was arbitrary...I kind of agree. When it comes to the sentence someone gets, or even whether they get charged, a lot is based on the officer, judge, state that it happens in etc. Drug charges seem to bring hefty sentencing, but then when true moral wrongs occur , like murder, it may not matter what happened, but what can be proven by a lawyer. When it comes to the death penalty, it really made me think, should we be judged by the worst thing we ever did in our lives? Yes, I think we should be punished, but is it our justice systems right to give the life/death call? I don't know the solutions or how our system could really be based on a moral code (when everyone seems to disagree on ethics & morality) but it would be nice to think that the laws and justice system were actually making changes to our society...I guess it takes changes in the society to change how we see justice.
No comments:
Post a Comment