
I watched a documentary recently called "Happy" on Netflix. It was awesome and has me thinking about life stuff. My dissertation research and the mindfulness group I lead at the VA has also led me down this path of researching what leads to happiness...So far, I am learning that if you think being cool, looking good, and having tons of money will make you happy you are only partially correct. If you are dirt poor, money will make you happier, but from middle class to rich, they find not much change based on the $$ alone. SO, if its not the benjamins that = happiness, and I can't botox my way to being happy forever, and let's be real, I am not the coolest cat on the block....then WHAT am I doing in my life to enstill happiness in the LONG term.
I am reading a book about it, right now, but some things I am starting.
1. Trying to add in some physical acitivity of any kind whenever possible, for at least 5 minutes per day.
2. Looking into volunteering (maybe at the Stray Dog Society).
3. Trying to be appreciative of what I do have, especially Eric & Lou, my extended family, health, etc etc etc.
I'll try to update on this at some point.
According to current research, in the determination of a person’s level of happiness, genetics accounts for about 50 percent; life circumstances, such as age, gender, ethnicity, marital status, income, health, occupation, and religious affiliation, account for about 10 to 20 percent; and the remainder is a product of how a person thinks and acts.
Rubin, Gretchen (2009-12-16). The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun (pp. 5-6). Harper Perennial. Kindle Edition. <<The book I am reading right now
No comments:
Post a Comment