Thursday, January 2, 2014

2013



When I looked forward to this year, I always thought of it as the year I would finally graduate. It has been a whirlwind. I have done so much this year, and surprised myself with a lot of it. There have been a lot of losses this year...many unexpected. It makes me think more about death. Not in a morbid way, but more of a live life all the time since you don't know when you or other people's day will come - kinda way. I really think I did this year. I loved this year. Even with the ups and downs. It wasn't always pleasant and happy, but I loved it all the same.

I traveled - 2012 was the only the 2nd time I had flown in my life...and in 2013 I took 11 flights (including connections). I flew/drove/trained to: Denver and Winter park, Colorado. Tampa Bay, Florida. Streator, Illinois. Atlanta, Georgia. London, England. Barcelona, Spain. Venice, Florence, San Baronto, and Rome, Italy. (with a flight stop through Amsterdam). Nashville, Tennessee. and little old Hermann, Missouri.

I lived in St. Louis...for most of this year!. I have been back 4 months now and it feels like I never left. I still miss alot about St. Louis. My life there was fantastic and lonely and new. All together. I am so glad that is where I spent the 1st year of my marriage.

I lived in my in-laws basement. Then, found a house. 

I stressed. About dissertation, finding a job, planning my trips/moving, buying a house, taking the EPPP, and teaching a class. And I taught my first class, passed the EPPP, bought a cute house, tripped and moved (twice), got a job, and defended successfully...I should remember sometimes that I stress too much.
I started being more active and healthy. I am by no means an expert or perfect with this, but it feels really good that I am at least aware of what I'm eating/doing. I found a love for yoga in the parks of St. Louis. I am trying to work it into my Louisville life. I'm trying everyday to eat fruits (not hard) and vegetables (gotta really think to do that). I make smoothies with kale in them sometimes...last year I don't even know if I had ever thought about kale.

I worked on my marriage. Everyday. Just trying not to be such a brat and appreciating my awesome partner in life. By putting down my phone. By saying thank you. By noticing nice things and not being so quick to react to pet peeves.

I loved my damn dog. Seriously. I never thought I would love a dog like this, but I think he is awesome.

So it's been real 2013. For the pleasant times, the shitty times, and the plain boring days in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment